Wednesday 29 February 2012

Rickshaw Commuter 2.0 Laptop Bag and MacBook Pro Sleeve Review

Of late, I’ve had the opportunity to add a few chapters to my continuing saga for the “perfect” gear bag (for me at least), the most recent being an evaluation of the Tom Bihn Cadet.  Being mainly a messenger bag fan(atic), I’d been wondering if there was one out there that could supplant my venerable Timbuk2 Commute from its daily carry status.  One bags that kept resurfacing in my searches was the Rickshaw Commuter 2.0 Laptop Bag.  I had the chance to check one out, as well asa Rickshaw MacBook Pro Sleeve.  Onward, Gadgeteers!
As I’ve described in previous reviews, I’ve been on a quest to find the perfect bag to haul my gear.  What does “perfect” mean?  It’s a bit of a moving target for me— a mix of style, organizational features and capacity that seems right for my needs and tastes.  I’ve been partial to messenger style bags, with their cavernous interiors and buckle-down flaps.  I can’t say that I’ve found the perfect bag for me yet, but my Timbuk 2 Commute comes pretty darn close.  But I’m still open to trying out others!Rickshaw Bagworks, also known as Rickshaw Bags, also known as simply Rickshaw, is a small, urban San Fran-based company that is best known for producing bike messenger-style bags and backpacks, many of them custom made-to-order in their shop.  Though they may not yet have the name recognition of some of the bigger boys, their product offering has grown steadily over the past several years.
Rickshaw’s Commuter product line of bags includes four versions: the Commuter 2.0 Laptop Bag (reviewed here), the Skinny Commuter 2.0 Laptop Bag, the Commuter 2.0 Backpack and the Skinny Commuter 2.0 Backpack.  Reviews of the other Commuter 2.0 products may come another day, but for now we’ll focus on the Commuter 2.0 Laptop Bag. After selecting the version and materials, you can select from several stock color combinations for each material.  Alternatively, you can also choose to customize your own Commuter 2.0 by selecting from a growing list of materials and colors, and your personally-designed bag will be hand-assembled to order in Rickshaw’s San Francisco shop.
Since, as the expression goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the customizability of the Commuter 2.0 means you can make it beautiful to your own liking.  The front of the bag has one of features that is obiigatory of messenger-style bags, a large flap.  For this particular bag, the flap was covered with Rickshaw’s Performance Tweed material in a reddish-pink color, with camouflage nylon binding along the flap’s edge and a red-lettered Rickshaw logo patch.  Probably not the colors I would have selected, but I do like the Performance Tweed—it’s a different fabric from what you’ll find on most messengers.

No comments:

Post a Comment