Thursday 22 November 2012

iPad Keyboard Case Offers Backlit Keys, Solid Protection


As much as I hate typing on the touch screen of my iPad, I've resisted buying an external keyboard for my tablet as I didn't want to add to the bulk of my svelte Apple gadget. But when I was given the opportunity to test out the ZAGG ProFolio+ keyboard case, I was intrigued – since it's not only compact, but it offers full wrap-around protection for my iPad.To help put it to the test, I'm writing this entire review using the ProFolio+ keyboard and my iPad. At its core, the QWERTY keyboard solves the very problem it sets out to. I went from a paltry 34 WPM typing with the on-screen keyboard, to a solid 68 WPM on the ProFolio+ – on the first try – literally doubling my typing productivity. Yes, the keys are little smaller and more crowded than the ones on my desktop computer, but they're still quite functional, and add a good tactile feel, similar to that found on a MacBook. And I've got pretty big fingers, so if I can type on this, anyone can.
Another cool feature of the ProFolio+ keyboard is its backlighting. The keyboard has bright LED backlights which can be set to one of seven colors (my personal fave is the purple – it's bright and looks cool) and three brightness levels. Simply press the lightbulb key to turn them on, and hold it down with the right or left arrow keys to change colors. Brightness is adjusted by tapping the lightbulb key multiple times. The backlighting is quite effective – in fact I'm writing this entire paragraph in complete darkness with no trouble reading the keys at all. And while the iPad screen itself provides some illumination for keys anyhow, the supplemental backlighting makes them much easier to see – and it just plain looks cool.Across the top of the keyboard, you'll also find dedicated function keys for the home screen, search, photo slideshow, cut, paste, copy, media playback and volume, as well as to lock the iPad. Unfortunately, the lock key is a little close to the smaller-than-normal delete key, so I did find myself accidentally pressing it once or twice, but quickly figured out how to avoid it once I realized it was there.
In terms of the case itself, it's fairly non-descript on the outside, adding a layer of durable black plastic that  snaps onto the back of the iPad. When closed, the keyboard section acts as the front cover, and even has the proper magnets in it to put the iPad to sleep when closed and wake it when opened. When in keyboard mode, the iPad itself sits into a slot (in landscape mode only) providing a good angle for viewing the screen while typing.And this is where one of my only complaints about the ProFolio+ crops up – it only provides a single viewing angle. I personally found the angle to be a little too vertical for my liking  - but not to the point where it was uncomfortable. It's just ideal for when you're typing at eye level. If you try and use the iPad on your lap, the angle isn't ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment